Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Aline Smithson's "In Case of Rain"


I keep going back to Aline Smithson's photo series, "In Case of Rain" (discovered on kris atomic) with its beauty and brightness on this rainy and gloomy day. Hope you fall in love with it too....
"We live in a world of technical distractions. I see my children gathered around their computers as though it's a summer campfire, faces aglow, as they peer into a world of friends and fantasy, participating in a new form of entertainment that further remove them from the childhood that I experienced.

Today's generation has lost touch with the activities that previous generations have enjoyedreading a good book in a comfortable chair, playing board games on a rainy day, flipping through Life magazines, or sprawling out on the living room rug while listening to records and reading the backs of album covers.

And it's because of this that I have been looking at book shelves and untouched childhood pursuits with a new eye. With great sadness, I realize that these objects will someday be obsolete, at least in their current incarnations. And like a curator of antiques, I see them now as beautiful objects to be admired and preserved, if only on film.

I can only hope for rain, a heavy rain and maybe a power outage."

Aline Smithson on her photo series, "In Case of Rain"








3 comments:

  1. Beautiful-especially the paperdolls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow!! what crazy good photos!! A bit sad but I think we can make good of this all - we can turn off the tv and put a book in our children's hands and keep them stacked around the house and baskets of crayons and scrap paper....I tell my kids "no computer now. just play quietly, or read or go outside." we can keep these good things in our lives.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails